Re: [RRG] cache issues in LISP and CONS - it's bad . . .

I am correcting some things I wrote about LISP-NERD in an earlier
message - and replying to Eliot Lear and Sheng Jiang.

Hi Eliot,

I apologise for some of the things I have written on the list about
LISP-NERD recently being wrong.  I was writing from my own memory,
which has clearly become garbled - because I wrote that NERD
involved caching and querying in a DNS-like fashion.  I did know
better than this!

Here is new version of the comparison table, with hopefully correct
details for LISP-NERD.

This will look like garbage unless displayed in a fixed width font.

                    LISP-CONS  LISP-NERD  eFIT-APT Ivip    TRRP

Full DB ITRs?       No*        Yes        Default  ITRD    No
                                          Mappers

Caching ITRs?       All*       No         ITR      ITRC    All
                                                   ITFH

Local query         No*                   Default  QSD     No
servers for                               Mappers  QSC
caching ITRs?

Caching ITR must    Yes                   No       No      Yes
drop packets it
has no mapping for?

Distribution of     Pull       ITRs down  Push     Push    Pull
database to         CAR-CDR    load DB &  slow     fast    DNS-like
networks with       global     updates    via      Repli-  global
ITRs etc.?          network    via HTTP   BGP      cator   network
                               from DB             system
                               servers &
                               other ITRs

Incremental                    RRG                 Yes
deployment via                 messages
"anycast ITRs in               264 & 288
the core"?

* Perhaps CONS might be changed to incorporate full DB ITRs to
  which packets would be sent when the caching ITR has no
  mapping information.  See
  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2007/msg00464.html where Scott Brim,