Re: [RRG] On the Transitionability of LISP

Hi Lasse,

> Isn't the current BGP too complicated already ?
> Shouldn't the target be to reduce it ?
>
> It sound simpler to have separated protocols rather that extend BGP.

The routing system has to be as complex as is needed to
get the job done, but not more complex than that. I'm
not sure I want to say anything about how well we are
doing in this respect today :-)

Anyway, what majority of proposals on the table do is to introduce
some modularity into the system. The routing in the core
of the Internet would be handled by a something resembling
the current BGP, but hopefully requiring smaller amount
of data and less features. The remaining part of the routing
problem would be handled as an additional task in some
subset of routers, e.g., on network edges. For those routers
complexity increases, but complexity and other pain is
reduced on the rest.

Jari