Re: [RRG] 2 RRG drafts

Avri,

> Two IRTF RRG drafts that will be addressed in the upcoming meeting.
>
> a.
> ---
> directories.
>

>          Title           : Analysis of IDR requirements and History
>          Author(s)       : A. Doria, E. Davies
>          Filename        : draft-irtf-routing-history-02.txt
>          Pages           : 43
>          Date            : 2005-10-26
>
> This document analyses the current state of IDR routing with respect
>     to RFC1026 and other IDR requirements and design efforts.  It is the
>     companion document to "Requirements for Inter-Domain Routing"
>     [I-D.irtf-routing-reqs], which is a discussion of requirements for
>     the future routing architecture and future routing protocols.

Few more incorrect points in the draft:

From 3.2:

   The first version of the Border Gateway
   Protocol (BGP-1) [RFC1105]was developed as a replacement, but was
   specifically designed to work on a tree structured network (links are
   classified as upwards, downwards or sideways).

BGP-1 was *not* designed to work "on a tree structured network".
It was designed to work on a *hierarchically* structured network
as well as on a *non-hierarchically* structured network. In fact the
presence of "sideways" inter-AS link was specifically intended to
accommodate the latter.

With this mind I would suggest to replace the original text with
the following:

   The first version of the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP-1)
   [RFC1105]was developed as a replacement. It was designed to work
   on a hierarchically structured network as well as on a
   non-hierarchically structured network.

From 3.2:

   BGP version 1 [RFC1105] was the first real path-vector
   routing protocol (standardized in 1989) which was intended to relieve
   some of the scaling problems but it still assumed a tree structured
   network.

Again, this is incorrect. BGP-1 (rfc1105) did *not* assume a tree
structured network. To the contrary, it assumes that a network
may not be a tree structured network, and that is why BGP-1
provided a mechanism to suppress routing information looping.

With this in mind I would suggest to delete" but it still assumed
a tree structured network".

Yakov.