RE: Toward Compact Interdomain Routing [Re: [RRG] recent progress in routing research]

pekka, thanks for your comments. my comments on
your comments: :)

1) your comment #1:

you're right, of course, but the more you're right,
the better it is for the scalability argument in the
paper, since finer-than-AS routing control can only
*add* to the amount of state the IDR should keep. in
other words, our argument in this part of the paper
is that the scaling problem stays nearly the same
*even in the best possible case* when addresses are
ASs (as suggested in many proposals), while reality
can be only worse. you might ask then how the topology
of the network composed of a more realistic set of
'nodes' (that is, set of destinations finer than the
set of ASs) looks like. it's easy to see that this
topology is 'somewhere between' the AS- and router-level
graphs, i.e. it is only quantitatively, not qualitatively
different, since even though the router-level topology
is virtually unknown, all indicators are that it is also
small-world.

2) your comment #2:

i'm not sure what you mean. do you mean this other 'real'
topology from the previous point? we simply point out that
for the *real AS-level* topology, the routing table size
of the TZ scheme is ~50 entries of ~log(n) bits each, which
means that the average DFZ routing table size is below 100
bytes per node (that's why this type of routing is called
compact :)

3) your comment #3:

thanks, but yes, we're talking about the worst case. we'll
see if we can extract any scaling estimate of the average
behavior from the paper you mention.
--
dima.
http://www.caida.org/~dima/