Re: [radext] #93: Compliance with Crypto-Agility Requirements

Hi,

> This material might be appropriate for inclusion in an Appendix so
> that it wouldn't clutter the main text.
>
> Interesting point with respect to TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA.
> Since later TLS RFCs provide recommendations on implementations of
> algorithms that would be "Acceptable" with
> no known deprecation date, would it make sense for the document to
> incorporate that guidance (even though it only requires earlier
> versions of  TLS)?

Well, guidance is alright, but not sufficient. The Crypto-Agility
Requirements speak of

> RECOMMENDED that mandatory-to-implement cryptographic
> algorithms be chosen from among those classified as "Acceptable" with
> no known deprecation date.

So it's about mandatory-to-implement algorithms; not
recommended-to-implement algorithms. Of course, the draft could be
changed to make TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA the required-to-implement
algorithm. That would fix the crypto-agility-req point; but it might
render some TLS 1.1 implementations not compatible to that new draft
spec because in 1.1, that ciphersuite was optional.

Greetings,

Stefan