Byte counting in draft-winter-radext-fancyaccounting-00

There is sometimes confusion (For me anyway) regarding what counters actually count. Traditionally Input/Output octets are protocol agnostic and just count low layer bits shuffled between interfaces.

Lets say we run IPv6 over PPP or Ethernet do the byte counts apply only to the higher layer IP frames and not a lower layer ethernet or PPP frame?

Alternately if there was a traffic class for even higher layer messages such as HTTP..does it count the HTTP layer only or the IP header and possibly ethernet/PPP header?

I don't really have an opinion on the behavior only that it would be best if all implementations stand a good chance of counting the same way.

regards,
Peter