Re: FW: [IANA] Your request for a Private Enterprise Number has been closed - need to appeal this

  (original was sent to requestor && IANA)

Cindy Arens wrote:
> I am writing to appeal this denial of an additional PEN for Acme Packet, Inc.  This is directly related to our enterprise wanting to comply with the Internet-Draft (BCP) - RADIUS Design Guidelines (draft-ietf-radext-design-17).
>
> Over the last almost 10 years, our enterprise has defined well over 200 unique RADIUS VSAs for the various products that we have.  We are now developing some new products that require even more unique RADIUS VSAs for our customers to use.
>
> In order to comply with the appendix section, A.3. Vendor-Specific formats, in the RADIUS Design Guidelines, we can see no solution other than getting a new PEN to implement a new set of vendor-specific attributes.

  The guidelines document has not been published.  As such, it does not
(yet) affect IANAs allocation methods.

  I've brought your message to the attention of the IETF RADEXT working
group, and CC'd the group on this message.  We will discuss it, and see
what can be done.

  I also suggest joining the mailing list, by sending an email to
radiusext-request@ops.ietf.org.  You can follow the discussion, and
contribute any additional details that may be needed.

> If you need any more information about our products, how we have implemented our existing VSAs, or how we intend to implement future VSAs, please don't hesitate to inquire.  I would be happy to provide any information necessary to allow a new PEN to be issued for Acme Packet.

  The existing Acme VSAs look to have been allocated "freely".  For
example, the RADIUS dictionary I see has 30 attributes marked as "custom
string content based on system config".  This practice is not common in
RADIUS dictionaries, and uses up a lot of the attribute space.

  The RADEXT working group is developing an "Extended Attributes"
document.  It is intended to solve Attribute Type space exhaustion for
both IETF attributes, and for vendors.  If the document is published in
a timely manner, you may be able to leverage it before your current VSA
space is exhausted.