Re: Is provisioning services in Accounting-Request packets bad?

On Jun 15, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:

> It creates FW rules for the user.  It does *not* relay the result back
> to the NAS.

OK, I think I get it.

> The NAS sends an Access-Request to the RADIUS server.
> The RADIUS server originates the Accounting-Request.

To a RADIUS Accounting Server?

Let's see if I've got this....

The NAS (Node A) sends an Access-Request to the RADIUs Server (Node B) which then sends an Accounting-Request to the RADIUS Accounting Server (Node C), and subsequently the RADIUS Server (Node B) sends an Access-Accept to the NAS (Node A)?  The RADIUS Accounting Server (Node C) by some means creates access rules for the user and sends them to the Firewall (Node D)?

Yikes.

> The *intent* appears to be that waiting the extra 1/10s for the NAS to
> originate the Accounting-Request would be a catastrophic delay.  The
> "network setup" side of the user session needs to be done before the
> Access-Accept is received by the NAS.
>
> The "simplest" way to do this is to overload RADIUS.

Well, RADIUS has a history of being an eminently overload-able protocol.  :-)

I think it's unusual, to say the least, for a RADIUS Server to initiate a request on behalf of a NAS unless that RADIUS Server is acting in the role of RADIUS Proxy Server.  That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Regards,

Dave

David B. Nelson

Elbrys Networks, Inc.