Re: RADEXT WG last call on RADIUS attributes for IPv6 Access Networks

Hello Peter,

On 26/04/2010 19:37, "Peter Deacon" <peterd@iea-software.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Wojciech Dec (wdec) wrote:
>
>> Hello Peter,
>> As part of the resolution of Issue 335, we're proposing the addition of
>> the following text/section into the draft. Please let us know if this is
>> satisfactory.
>
>> "Syntactically, the Framed-IPv6-Address and the RFC3162
>> Framed-IPv6-Prefix attributes are identical. In terms of their intended
>> semantics however the former represents a statefully assigned IPv6
>> address while the latter a prefix intended for application on a target
>> interface and are envisaged to be used in co-existence. Thus, in order
>> to preserve this semantical distinction it is recommended that each
>> attribute be used for its intended purpose, with the functional
>> substitution of one attribute for the other being an optional
>> configuration feature of a Radius client."
>
> Hi Woj,
>
> For Accounting messages in only the narrow case where Framed-IPv6-Address
> is assigned and no prefix is ultimatly allocated to the user what do you
> think about a recommendation for the /128 prefix be sent as well?

Yes, I would expect this to be already captured in the attribute usage
section/table with the 0+ notation. It's my understanding that the inclusion
of such optional Radius attributes is always made configurable.

> Regardless your text works for me as-is, thank you.

Thanks,
Woj.