Review of draft-ietf-radext-status-server-05 (Part II)

Sections 2.1 and Section 2.2

Section 2 explains the unique properties of Status-Server and why a RADIUS client might want to use it.  RFC 2865 Section 2.6
explains why "keepalives" are a bad idea.  Presumably this advice applies to both RADIUS Access-Request and Accounting-Request keepalives.  Given that, Sections 2.1 and 2.2 belabor the point.  I'd suggest that they be deleted.

Section 2.3

I would suggest deleting this section as well.

Section 2.3.1

My advice is to incorporate the material in this section into Section 2 (To be retitled Overview).

Section 3

     Response Authenticator

The value of the Authenticator field in Access-Accept, or
Accounting-Response packets is called the Response
Authenticator, and contains a one-way MD5 hash calculated over
a stream of octets consisting of: the RADIUS packet, beginning
with the Code field, including the Identifier, the Length, the
Request Authenticator field from the Status-Server packet, and
the response Attributes (if any), followed by the shared
secret. That is, ResponseAuth =
MD5(Code+ID+Length+RequestAuth+Attributes+Secret) where +
denotes concatenation.

[BA] Why is this material here? If you need it at all (I don't think so), you can just reference
RFC 2865 and/or 2866.

Status-Server packets MAY include NAS-Identifier, and one of NAS-IP-
Address or NAS-IPv6-Address. These attributes are not necessary for
the operation of Status-Server, but may be useful information to a
server that receives those packets.

[BA] You might say that the server MUST ignore other attributes.

Other attributes SHOULD NOT be included in a Status-Server packet.
User authentication credentials such as User-Password, CHAP-Password,
EAP-Message, etc. MUST NOT appear in a Status-Server packet sent to a
RADIUS authentication port. User or NAS accounting attributes such
as Acct-Session-Id, Acct-Status-Type, Acct-Input-Octets, etc. MUST
NOT appear in a Status-Server packet sent to a RADIUS accounting
port.

[BA] Also, presumably User-Name is not included (relevant to the point about realms made earlier).