Diameter Considerations Section (VLAN/Priority, Delegated Prefix, etc.)

Jari Arkko has suggested a new template for Diameter Considerations sections in RADEXT WG documents. I believe this suggestion applies to both the VLAN/Priority and Delegated Prefix attributes.

From: Jari Arkko [mailto:jari.arkko@piuha.net]
Sent: Wed 6/7/2006 3:29 AM
To: iesg@ietf.org
Cc: radext-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: DISCUSS: draft-ietf-radext-vlan

Discuss:
I am raising an issue that is largely about the same text as Dan already
commented on. But the main issue is not inconsistency in this specification
but rather the need to fulfill requirements from the WG's charter and
the desire to keep the RADIUS and Diameter protocols interoperable through
gateways.

Fortunately, I think we can correct this issue relatively easily.

The document said this:

4.  Diameter Considerations

  Diameter needs to define identical attributes with the same Type
  values.  The attributes should be available as part of the NASREQ
  application [RFC4005], as well as the Diameter EAP application
  [RFC4072].

But RADEXT charter says:

All RADIUS work MUST be compatible with equivalent facilities in
Diameter. Where possible, new attributes should be defined so that
the same attribute can be used in both RADIUS and Diameter without
translation.

In this case I believe there is no technical reason to require
different attributes. I would suggest the following contents
for Section 4:

  When used in Diameter, the attributes defined in this
  specification can be used as Diameter AVPs from the
  Code space 1-255, i.e., RADIUS attribute compatibility
  space. No additional Diameter Code values are therefore
  allocated. The data types of the attributes are as
  follows:

    Egress-VLANID                     OctetString
    Ingress-Filters                   Enumerated
    Egress-VLAN-Name                  UTF8String
    User-Priority-Table               OctetString

  The attributes in this specification have no special
  translation requirements for Diameter to RADIUS or
  RADIUS to Diameter gateways, i.e., the attributes
  are copied as is, except for changes relating to
  headers, alignment, and padding. See also
  [RFC 3588] Section 4.1 and [RFC 4005] Section 9.

  What this specification says about the applicability
  of the attributes for RADIUS Access-Request applies
  in Diameter to AA-Request [RFC 4005] or Diameter-EAP-Request
  [RFC 4072]. What is said about Access-Challenge applies
  in Diameter to AA-Answer [RFC 4005] or Diameter-EAP-Answer
  [RFC 4072] with Result-Code AVP set to
  DIAMETER_MULTI_ROUND_AUTH.

  What is said about Access-Accept applies in Diameter
  to AA-Answer or Diameter-EAP-Answer that indicates
  success. Similarly, what is said about Access-Reject
  applies in Diameter to AA-Answer or Diameter-EAP-Answer
  that indicates failure.

  What is said about COA-Request applies in Diameter
  to Re-Auth-Request [RFC 4005].

  What is said about Accounting-Request applies to
  Diameter Accounting-Request [RFC 4005] as well.