RE: QoS attributes

Thanx for the comments.  See my replies in line:

> Not having much prior RADIUS experience and having looked at
> the activities in this group, I have been wondering why
> RADIUS needs to define every single parameter as an
> attributes. Given that there are so many customers for
> RADIUS: we have seen SIPPING, WLAN community, QoS and so
> forth. Shouldn't there be a method to bundle paramters
> regarding each application, given the fact that attribute
> space is so limited??

The concept of applications has been addressed in Diameter.
The concept of grouping related has been address in Diameter as well.
However, if you look at some of the emails you will see some discussion on
subtypes that I have been pushing for.

> But that aside, to comment on the QoS issue, isn't the issue
> that how the RADIUS server configure the NAS (which is
> typically the same as the device at the edge of the network)
> to know how to handle user's traffic? If so then it depends
> on what kind of edge device the NAS is. Also each user may
> have various kinds of sessions, for each it may get
> different QoS treatment, so the QoS will be tied to SIP or other call
> control protocols.
> If it is a Diffserv router(filter), it needs to have DSCP for
> each flow the user is using (not just one per user). If it is
> a L2 device, it may need to have a whole bunch of access
> technology specific paramters, such as
> slots, etc.

Yes I agree that this is a difficult issue and there may not be away for
doing this other than to address specific requirements.