RE: Subtypes

Avi Lior writes...

> I didn't hear too many folks complain about
> draft-adrangi-radius-extension-for-pwlan-00.txt PWLAN Location
Information
> Attribute (2.1) the proposed encoding in that document would yield an
> attribute that contained a string that would look something like this:
>
>         Operator-name=GSM:T-Mobile, location-ID=44,location-
>         name=starbucks-4,location-type=coffee shop, city= seattle,
>         state=Washington,country=us
>
> We want this now to be encoded using subTLV.  What is wrong with that?
It
> saves space and it saves parsing time (when it needs to be parsed)

Well, perhaps we simply haven't attempted to "fry that fish" yet...  :-)

String-valued attributes containing a single, well-defined entity, such
as a Fully-Qualified Domain Name or an X.500 Distinguished Name, would
seem to be perfectly appropriate.

However, attempting to create new "entities" in an effort to encode
sub-types in an ASCII-delimited, implicit-length protocol encoding,
would be a Very Bad Thing (tm), IMHO.

Regards,

Dave

David B. Nelson
Wireless & AAA Architect, Office of the CTO
Enterasys Networks, Inc.
50 Minuteman Road
Andover, MA 01810-1008
Phone: (978) 684-1330