Re: PSAMP IANA considerations section

Dear Thomas,

If I wanted to specify a new algorithm (filter, sampler, hash) private for my company, I would do the following: - specify a proprietary I.E., whose name is selectorAlgorithm, exactly the same one as in [PSAMP-INFO] - I would make sure I don't re-use the existing selectorAlgorithm values as specified in [PSAMP-INFO] and IANA
 So I would start from a higher range.

What I'm describing is already possible with IPFIX, as a generic mechanism. Section 3.2 of [IPFIX-PROTO] doesn't preclude the use an existing IPFIX I.E. name as an enterprise specific I.E. As this is a generic mechanism, why limit this to the selectorAlgorithm I.E. description? Example 1: I want to redefine the octetDeltaCount with an Entreprise ID to contain the MPLS header
Example 2: I want to add some extra reasons to the flowEndReason
So why not add the same remark in some other I.E. description?

So I fail to understand what we gain by adding this in the Information Element description?
It doesn't even simplify the Collector job:
- If it receives selectorAlgorithm without Enterprise ID, it knows where to look up the meaning - If it receives selectorAlgorithm with Enterprise ID, it must look in the specific enterprise registry.

In conclusion, I don't see the need for explaining in a I.E. description what is possible by the IPFIX protocol

Regards, Benoit.
Dear Benoit and all,

The problem with this is that we want to have well defined selector
algorithms, right? So we register a number for each defined algorithm with
IANA and mandate a consistant description of the algorithm (propably as
RFC). So it gets difficult to have intermediate or vendor specific selector
algorithms! I would like to propose a solution for this. However it has the
drawback that it makes the definition and usage of vendor specific selector
algorithms easier and lifts the pressure of registering new algorithms with
IANA.

I would change the selectorAlgorithm Information Element from octet to
unsigned64. The content would be defined as follows:

6.2.3  selectorAlgorithm

      Specifies the selector algorithm (e.g., filter, sampler, hash)
      that was used on a packet.  It is exported in the options data
      flow record to specify how a collector has to interpret a data
      flow record.  The Information Element should be encoded in the
      following way in an unsigned64 value:

0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ |E| Selector Algorithm Indentifier | +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ | Enterprise Number | +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
      The most significant bit must be set if the selector algorithm is
      defined by an enterprise and is not registered with IANA. The
      following 31 bits contain a Selector Algorithm Identifier. This
      is the value registered with IANA if the enterprise bit E is not
      set. Otherwise it depends on the Enterprise Number that is
      encoded in the last 32 bits. The Enterprise Number is the same
      as defined for Information Element templates. If the Enterprise
      Bit E is not set the Information Element may be reduced to an
unsigned32 data type. If the size is not reduced then the Enterprise number has to be set to 0.

      The following Selector Algorithms Identifiers are currently
      defined:
      *  1 Systematic count-based sampling
      *  2 Systematic time-based sampling
      *  3 Random n-out-of-N sampling
      *  4 Uniform probabilistic sampling
      *  5 Non-uniform probabilistic sampling
      *  6 Non-uniform flow state sampling
      *  7 Match based filtering
      *  8 Hash based filtering
      *  9 Router state filtering

      The parameters for most of these algorithms are defined in this
      information model.  Some parameters - especially those for
      algorithms 5, 6 and 8 are not covered by this information model
      since they depend very much on the underlying hardware.
      Currently there are no hash functions defined.

      EDITOR'S NOTE: This list may extend to the final version.  The
      "unsigned64" data type is probably not the best choice but keeps the
      list extensible.
Abstract Data Type: unsigned64 Data Type Semantics: identifier
   ElementId: 302

The text may still be subject to changes if I expressed myself not clear
enough.

I hope that makes this element more flexible but still simple enough.

Best Regards,

Thomas