Re: psamp-info: transport/udp/tcpPayloadPacketSection

Hi Andrew,

Of course, the psamp-info draft does not restrict me since I can always define my own IEs. It's just that having such an IE in the standard would have looked natural to me.

Cheers,
Gerhard

Andrew Johnson wrote:
Hi Gerhard

If I recall correctly, the packet section fields were defined to
meet the PSAMP requirements and provide a minimum requirement for
the basic packet reports.  The extended packet reports can contain
any information you like as long as you have an IE for it, so I hope
you don't feel that the current PSAMP drafts will restrict what you
want to do.

Some more inline:

Gerhard Muenz wrote:

A generic transport payload IE is not feasible because to implement
properly an implementation would have to understand and parse all
transport protocols, including ones which are yet to be defined.

I thought of a generic transportPayloadPacketSection similar to the sourceTransportPort that exists besides udp|tcpTransportPort. In any case, a monitor would only export the information it is able to retrieve from a packet.

Sure, but the sourceTransportPort is restricted to specifically TCP,
UDP and SCTP.  Where is gets a bit woolly, and the part I don't like, is
the option to use it for future protocols, which could lead to different
implementations of the protocol doing different things for the same
traffic.  I think that all our IEs should have very solid definitions.

Apart from the generic type, is there any argument against IEs for udp|tcpPacketPayloadSection? Since IEs for almost all UDP/TCP header fields exist, the payload type would cover the remaining unparsed packet data.

If a new IE was created to cover UDP, TCP and SCTP payloads then I suppose
that would be fine.  The option to use it with future types is debatable
but I wouldn't object if it was consistent with the transportSourcePort
field.

[SNIP]

If you, or anyone, has an application that would require that PSAMP be
extended in some way then please mail the list details of the application
and we can discuss the best way to address the requirements, possibly
requesting new IEs as needed.  Don't forget, however, that new IEs can
be requested at any time in the future, so we don't have to cover all
cases right now.

An application I'm working on is signature detection on sampled packets.

OK, to summarise then. Would I be right in saying that current PSAMP drafts
meet your requirements with the basic packet reports, and could be met more
efficiently with certain extended packet reports?  To be more efficient
still you want a new IE for just the TCP or UDP (and maybe SCTP) payload?

In which case I would say that this new IE doesn't specifically belong in
the PSAMP drafts, it is merely one of the many IEs that can be used in an
extended packet report.  That said, the IE may be relevant and generally
useful enough to be included in the PSAMP drafts as a good candidate for
extended packet reports.  The alternative is for you to request the IE
yourself on the IPFIX mailing list.

Cheers

Andrew

--