functional separation

Hi,

We should attempt to resolve the issues pertaining to the
functional framework for packet sampling.  Maybe there are
terminology issues mixed in with differences of opinion on
the framework itself, but the result is confusion either way.

Filtering vs. Sampling:  I think these are 2 distinct topics.
Filtering is packet selection based on static attributes of
individual packets (fields within the packet or interface
number or AS number) and sampling is a mechanism which
allows extrapolation of results while reducing the number
of data inputs required for a statistical function.  We
need to clarify the differences between filtering and sampling
in the framework document.

Sampling vs. Reporting:  The collection of samples at a sampling
point is different than the collection of sample reports at a
report collection point.  There may not be a 1:1 correspondence
between the number of events at each point.  Congestion avoidance
for the latter (report packets) is important, and we cannot assume
that mechanisms applied to the sample point for the generation of
sampled packets insure congestion avoidance in the path of each
and every report collector.

Andy