RE: next step

Derek> I think that Sonia was saying that she would like to see an
Derek> entire header, rather than
Derek> selected fields; if so, I agree with Sonia.  Passing raw information
rather than selected or
Derek> aggregated information, gives the collector all available information
and thus provides some
Derek> level of future protection (who knows when another currently
unassigned or obsolete field
Derek> suddenly has new semantics?)  Perhaps what is exported is the first n
bytes of the packet,
Derek> where n is configurable to some degree.
Derek> One area of  significant potential complexity in the selectors.
Derek> We have to make sure the
Derek> selectors are as simple as possible while giving the most
flexibility.  I think a common
Derek> set of selectors across a wide range of equipment would be a huge
boon for customers, but
Derek> we have to ensure they are simple enough for everyone to easily
implement.

Hi Derek,

Agreed.  Jon Crowcroft mentioned n=128 at the BOF, I think, which is a
reasonable
guideline.

-- Albert