From: Derek Chiou [mailto:dchiou@avici.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 9:59 PM
To: Albert Greenberg
Cc: Nicholas_G_Duffield; psamp@ops.ietf.org; Bert Wijnen; Randy Bush
Subject: Re: next step

Hi Albert,

I think that Sonia was saying that she would like to see an entire header, rather than selected fields; if so, I agree with Sonia.  Passing raw information rather than selected or aggregated information, gives the collector all available information and thus provides some level of future protection (who knows when another currently unassigned or obsolete field suddenly has new semantics?)  Perhaps what is exported is the first n bytes of the packet, where n is configurable to some degree.

There are some obvious privacy issues, but those may not be important and we can probably save until later.

From an equipment complexity issue, the less processing within the exporter, the better.  Even selecting certain fields rather than passing the whole header adds some effort, though correspondingly, the extra bandwidth can be a problem as well.

Modulo bandwidth issues, I think exporting the whole header or even selected header fields is reasonable to do; routers can do port mirroring after all.

One area of  significant potential complexity in the selectors.  We have to make sure the selectors are as simple as possible while giving the most flexibility.  I think a common set of selectors across a wide range of equipment would be a huge boon for customers, but we have to ensure they are simple enough for everyone to easily implement.

Derek

Albert Greenberg wrote:
E02461E58097D511A56700805F65B5986D1F5A@exchangesrv2.research.att.com type="cite">
Hi Derek,

I like the wording. If I understood Sonia's response,
we are talking about export of selected header fields vs export
of an initial header segment or hash of an initial header segment.
The latter looks simplest and general. Got your point right, Sonia?

It would be helpful if you and other
linecard designers provide some insights on complexity.

-- Albert