Re: next step

Hi Nick,

Sorry for the delay in answering, but I was caught up with other stuff.
This might not be the right time to address some of the issues I raise
below, but if so, just let me know.

First of all what is the time scale? By when do we need to finish this
charter? What about the other documents?

Now feedback on the charter:

1. Filtering is not mentioned in the charter and neither is drill-down.
My understanding is that we also want to do this. If so, the charter has
to mention that we want to a) give a protocol for configuring new report
streams in real time. Furthermore we also need to b) give the exact
syntax and semantics for the filters we might want to use (e.g. only
report on packets from prefix X because that's what we want to track for
some reason). We might put this under the generic heading of selectors
for packet sampling, but IMO we need to mention it explicitly.

2. There are some terms whose meaning is not exactly clear to me. I am
specifically not clear about overlaps between these terms and other type
of relations (e.g. A is an instantiation of B) between them.

a) report structure defined in 2.
b) format of packet reports defined in 3. i)
c) the packet reports defined in 3 ii)
d) report format used in 5.
e) report stream format used in 5.
f) export as used in 5.

3. Heading 2. seems to implicitly exclude the possibility of full
packets or chunks thereof being forwarded/exported to the management
station. I think we should explicitly say that unparsed packets (or
parts of packets (e.g. the first x bytes)) can be included in the reports.

4. This overlaps a little with my point 1 a). 5. says that the export
destination should be dynamically configurable. Why just the
destination? Why not the other parameters too?

5. Minor point that's maybe not for the charter document to address, but
are we living at layer 3 or layer 2 (or both)? More exactly do we care
about MAC headers and the like or we specifically target only the IP
packet from within?

Cheers,

Cristian