passive packet measurement

Folks,

I had an offline discussion that prompted me to clarify
aims of psamp as compared with ipfix. Here's what I sent
round to a few people as a result:

  The aim is to standardize a set of basic passive packet measurement
  operations for routers. We position these capabilities as suppliers
  of measurements to higher level "customers". These customers could
  be on-board applications (e.g. IP traceback, or constructing packet
  delay statistics) or exported off-board to measurement-based network
  management applications (e.g. for routine monitoring, or targeted
  monitoring for intrusion detection). For some applications, the
ability
  to have low latency between packet measurement and reporting will be
  particularly useful.

  We view passive packet measurement as complementary to flow-based
  approaches, which offer a compressed summary of packet trains that
  is particularly useful for reporting network usage.

Hope this is helpful. Feedback on the ID is solicited and appreciated.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duffield-framework-papame-00.txt

Nick