RE: [nmrg] RE: Proposed IETF Working Group: sming

Bert,

I think that Dave Sidor's message is a good example about some of the not so
clear issues concerning this new work proposal. Note that I am now
addressing the content, and not the procedure issues.

1. You are mentioning that the proposal intents to 'move SMI forward to
address some of the issues that have been raised in the last so many years'.
In this case the first step should be to specify which problems we propose
to solve. Maybe the first item in the deliverables list should be
'Requirements for SMIv3 document'.
2. The text of the proposal still seems to indicate that it takes upon
itself to provide an answer to the problem of the common information model.
Dave Sidor read it this way, so did I.  I happen to be convinced that such a
model is needed, and deserves a separate framework, and SMIv3 is not the
answer.
3. I understand so well that we focus on SNMP and COPS, but it is too early
for having decided about the solution. I think that I agree with your
assessment in a previous mail, that the floor should be open for different
proposals. This would include the good work done in the ITRF, but should not
exclude other proposal that may come from different sources. The future
Charter should have clear text about this.

Regards,

Dan