RE: Is UML an option for the IETF?

Title: RE: Is UML an option for the IETF?

Avri,

I too have found UML extremely useful for visually representing a model. While I find it an excellent tool to build concensus around the basic organization of objects, I believe we still need a text based representation to define the actual standard for the model. The primary reason is not IETF policy but rather my personal desire to see tools that take a model as input and a MIB, PIB, or whatever as output.

I am not aware of any ASCII based UML tool. Nor do I believe that a UML in Internet Drafts is terribly useful (primarily because of the 72 column limit. However, what I have done in the past is use a UML package and generate a PDF. The PDF can be posted on a server for people to access through their browser or download, print, and paste.

Since text based models are very difficult to read and conceptuallize, I would prefer to have something like this as backup material that is referenced by a draft but is not specifically part of a standard.

regards,

-Walter