RE: Methods in the NIM requirements

Walter,

You've said this twice now:

>Should the semantics of "go" be in the model? If we look at many
>of the models out there today, all have "go" semantics. However,
>most are in the protocol itself. The SET command is part of SNMP,
>not the MIB.

>In contrast, when the model is applied to a management protocol
>(SNMP), actions are implied by the protocol (GETs and SETs).

But it isn't true.  The semantics of SNMP's SET command itself
are simply changing the value of a MIB object (attribute).  If an
SNMP SET is going to have side effects, these *must* be specified
in the MIB definition of the object being SET.

The *protocol* operation that embodies the concept of an action is
(not surprisingly) CMIS/CMIP's M-ACTION operation.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
IBM Networking Software