Re: <validate> operation somewhat broken

Hello,
Ericsson actually defined an own, non-standard capability because we need this test-only type/edit-config like operation. We often have datamodels/datastores that are not possible to validate completely because:
- they are simply to big
- they are divided into multiple semi-independent parts like in a sub-agent architecture. The different parts are possibly handled by completely different management systems, so validating in one step means problems.
In http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/netconf.2006/msg00192.html
I asked for such possibility.
So I would be very happy with Andy's proposal, I completely support it. I think we should fix this, but certainly not ignore it.

Balazs

Martin Bjorklund wrote:
Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
Andy Bierman wrote:
Hi,

IMO, the <validate> command is not actually useful for 'inline'
configuration validation.

I think the WG should decide what to do about this problem:

    1) Ignore it
    2) Document it
    3) Fix it

IMO, the proper engineering fix requires 2 independent changes:

  1) Add a 'test-only' enumeration to the (edit-config) test-option
     parameter.  (Remember that this entire parameter is only supported
     if the :validate capability is supported. This change could
     be done as a validate-2.0 capability, and not change the 1.0 capability.

I think this would be a very useful enhancement.

  2) Remove configInlineType as one of the options for the 'source'
     parameter in the validate operation. (Make it the same data type
     as the getConfig source parameter).

That means that you could only <validate> the 'candidate', 'running'
or 'startup'?  I think this would be fine, b/c test-only is a much
more useful operation.  [side note: does it make sense to validate
'running'?]

/martin

Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
TSP System Manager
ECN: 831 7320                        Fax: +36 1 4377792
Tel: +36-1-437-7320     email: Balazs.Lengyel@ericsson.com