Re: Proposed Edits to Notification Draft

Sharon Chisholm wrote:
Hi

I don't remember any discussion explicitly as to whether we needed this
identifier which is why I added it to the list of issues to discuss.
Yes, it is obviously helpful for implementations which support
proprietary or future capabilities that build on the base notification
specification. There are a number of add-ons that could result in the
one-session to one subscription ratio not being true. I know you aren't
really into supporting extensibility in that way, so I just want to
confirm that we don't need it to support the base specification.

For implementations only supporting the base protocol specification,
there is a one-to-one correspondence between session id and subscription
id. In these cases the session id can be used for many of the cases
where you would want subscription id. One potential case, even with the
current minimal base, where you would still have more then one
subscription associated with the same session is if you had a replay
subscription and after it completes you start another subscription.
Since these don't exist at the same time, it may not be necessary to be
able to distinguish them.

IMO it is bad engineering to add extra cruft because you might
need it someday.  The WG consensus is that we do not need this
feature at all.  If we ever change our minds, it is cleaner
engineering to add the parameter if and when we actually need it.

If you add a under-specified parameter in "1.0", it will in no way
indicate that the agent supports some future multi-subscription
notification capability.  Then you have to specify how the real
capability interacts and coexists with the "old" subscriptionID.
In that case, we incur extra complexity for no benefit.

Proprietary 'replacements' to the standard (e.g., use your own
<create-subscription> RPC) are somewhat out of scope.

I guess we can live without it for the base specification and find a way
to recover when supporting extended content.

Yes we can live without it.  The sessionID is sufficient.

Sharon

Andy