RE: A question on notifications-03

Yan,

Hi, see in-line
Hector

From: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org] On Behalf Of Li Yan
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 3:49 AM
To: 'Sharon Chisholm'
Cc: netconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: A question on notifications-03

Hi,

I have a question on notifications-03.

2.3  Terminating the Subscription

   Closing of the event notification subscription is done by terminating

   the Netconf session ( <kill-session> )or via some action outside the

   scope of this specification.

Does it imply that configuration and notification MUST run in two different sessions?
[HT:] It can be a different session/channel. But yes, configuration and notifications are independent. This was one of the agreements that came out of the Montreal meeting (i.e. no mixing of commands and notifications).

 Otherwise, configuration operations could be broke by <kill-session>.

In addition, I believe the Subscription Id doesn't make sense any more, because <cancel-subscription> and <modify-subscription> operations have been eliminated. A notification subscription should associate with a session-id, thus we can use <kill-session> to close a notification subscription.
[HT:] Sharon and I had this discussion and left the Subscription Id in because: it is used in the notification subscription schema (i.e. unique identifier & search key) & also to allow for possible future enhancements.

Yan