From: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org] On Behalf Of Jim Fehrle
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 4:08 PM
To: netconf@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Character encoding for Netconf messages?

How can an application determine what character set is being used

in Netconf messages?  Is this specified with an element like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

in each message, or can it be set once for the connection in the <hello>?

If UTF-8 isn’t mandated, how can the application determine what encoding

the device can accept?  (aside from an error message for an unsupported encoding)

Jim Fehrle

Juniper Networks