Re: Verbs Again (was RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt)

Phil Shafer wrote:
Andy Bierman writes:
We spent about 5 years developing a set of standard operations
for the standard manipulation of NV-stored configuration data
models encoded in XML.

Five years?  Wow...  "And thank you so much for bringing up such a
painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice
paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?"  (-- Miracle Max)

;^)

And why do we have <get> and <get-config> again?
To retrieve data

<get> was the "thar be dragons" part of the spec.  <get-config>
seemed so much safer. ;^)

Doesn't really matter if it's <get> or <get-config>.

I'm not willing to accept a solution path that starts out with
little piles of unrelated "pseudo-data models" which do not
utilize the standard operations we already have.

I think that managing 100s or 1000s of <get-foo> and
even <set-foo> functions, which ignores the <candidate>,
<running>, <startup> model variants, ignores <edit-config>,
and does not show up at all when I do a <copy-config>,
<get-config>, or <get> operation -- is a fairly broken design.

This isn't a hard problem.
We just define a data model and instead of reflexively
labeling everything max-access read-only, we label it
read-create instead.

As far as data organization, again, not a hard problem.

1) Define a namespace for netconf data:

   urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:data:1.0

2) Define a structure to organize data and separate config
   from state data, e.g.:

<rpc message-id="101"
   xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
 <get>
   <filter type="subtree">
    <netconf xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:data:1.0">
      <notifications>
        <config/>
        <data/>
      </notifications>
    </netconf>
   </filter>
 </get>
</rpc>

3) Transfer the pseudo-data model to the appropriate container
   and call it a real data model.

Thanks,
 Phil

Andy