Re: Verbs Again (was RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt)

Sharon Chisholm wrote:
hi

If the working group gets too obsessed with architectural purity at the
expense of usability to the operators and management applications trying
to use an implementation of the protocol I think we are more in trouble.

I really disagree with this comment.
We spent about 5 years developing a set of standard operations
for the standard manipulation of NV-stored configuration data
models encoded in XML.  Instead of using it, some people
want to pretend that filtering parameters do not fall in
the category of NV-stored configuration data.

I've suggested previously the following criteria before deciding whether
it was appropriate to create a new verb:

1. Is it possible to perform this with existing verbs without exploiting
data model side efforts or being ridiculously complicated?
2. Is this operation a management operation and if so does it make sense
for a management protocol to provide this function natively?

I think the argument for this verb falls more out of the second
question. Providing it native in the protocol operation keeps it simple,
easy to use and highlights its importance over arbitrary bits of
configuration.

I think you are missing the point.
Balazs and I are not saying that a verb to start
the delivery of notifications is a problem.
I totally agree with this approach, rather
than the SNMP MIB approach of turning the knob
to 'enabled' in the data model.  Let's get past this point, okay?

The problem is that many of the parameters
(especially the most complicated part -- the filters)
should be implemented as a read-create standard
data model using the existing <edit-config> operation,
and retrieval of these parameters and notification
state information should be done with the <get> operation.

And why do we have <get> and <get-config> again?

To retrieve data

Sharon

Andy