Re: Canonical configuration database order

Randy Presuhn wrote:
Hi -

From: "Andy Bierman" <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: "Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn@mindspring.com>
Cc: "Netconf (E-mail)" <netconf@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: Canonical configuration database order

Randy Presuhn wrote:
Hi -

From: "Andy Bierman" <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: "Netconf (E-mail)" <netconf@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 8:30 AM
Subject: Canonical configuration database order
The canonical order for named sibling instances is the natural sort order,
based on the key associated with the nodes.  For multiple unnamed

What is meant by "the natural sort order"?
Ascending order for each component of the key.
Keys are evaluated 'top to bottom', where the
topmost component represents the major index,
and each successive key component represents
successive minor index components.

Yes, but what is meant by "ascending order"?
I'm wondering whether, for example, strings are
canonicalized before comparison (e.g. is "A" plus
"Umlaut" the same thing as "A-Umlaut"), whether
locales matter (e.g. does "tra" come before or
after "tuy"), and what happens with numbers
(e.g. does 9.9 come before or after 999)?

I should have seen this coming, based on who asked the question ;-)
Hopefully, there are rules in place for canonical representation
and sort order of UTF-8 strings, including internationalization
and localization details.

I guess it is data type (and data modeling language) specific
as to the exact meaning of ascending order.  I compare numbers
as numbers, not strings, so 9.9 is less than 999 and -4 is less
than 2.1.  Enumerations ascend in the order they are defined
(aligns with SMIv2 and C), not alphabetic order of the enum values.

Randy

Andy