Re: notification configuration info model

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 06:07:44AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
Here is a simple "info model" for the notification data model.
This actually allows OR expressions to be processed correctly.

[...]
For managers:

 <rpc>
   <start-notifications>
     <profile>1</profile>
   </start-notifications>
 </rpc>

For agents:

 - many issues very TBD like target priority,
   multiple targets, target fail-over
 - agent uses callhome mechanism to connect to manager;
   manager checks capabilities (need to figure out how
   the manager knows why the agent is connecting);
   manager uses <start-notifications> RPC to initiate
   notification generation.

If I understand things correctly, you want to use <edit-config> as the
only means to configure notification filters and profiles (not sure we
actually need both or what the added value of a profile is over just a
filter) and <start-notifications> <stop-notifications> verbs for
dynamic subscriptions. This approach and devision of work is fine with
me.

Yes.
I imagine a profile will end up with more parameters
than the filter index.  If not, the profile table can
be removed.

/js

PS. With ISMS in mind, we should think about impact of the asymmetry
    of SSH authentication and how that applies to access control. Well,
    netconf currently does not spell out access control so this is not
    really part of the WG concerns a this time. However, I think it
    would be desirable that ISMS and netconf use the same model when
    it comes down to "agent" initiated sessions for the delivery of
    notifications and how you bind access control rules to authenticated
    identities.

I have been on the 'security bandwagon' for a long time.
I wanted to work on access control, naming, and partial locks
before notifications.

Andy