Re: manager subscription model for notifications: usage survey

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Bierman [mailto:ietf@andybierman.com]

IMO, this doesn't make engineering sense, because the cost of development and deployment is so much higher for embedded systems than workstations. (That's probably why NE vendors don't offer this feature today.)

Is it really much more complex to implement than the SNMP-TARGET-MIB and
SNMP-NOTIFICATION-MIB?

Maybe about the same, but who is using the full capability
of these MIBs today?  Some complexity is due to the lack
of nested data structures in SMI, which is not a problem in XML.
I don't think the netconf configuration of a notification
generator application would need to be as complex.

My biggest concern is one of actual deployment.
If NE vendors are not inclined to offer this feature now,
then why is it all of a sudden going to become a great
idea when it shows up in a netconf RFC?

I'm not saying this is one of those "must-have features nobody
ever heard of" that Phil mentioned.  I'm saying if this was
really useful, then vendors would already be doing it in some
form, in some products.  Some WG members have told me "well,
the vendors don't know what they're doing.  We need do what's
right anyway."  IMO, this is the kind of thinking that got us into
a disconnect with the operator community in the first place.

Dan

Andy