Re: manager subscription model for notifications: usage survey

Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org] On Behalf Of Andy Bierman
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 10:28 PM
To: Sharon Chisholm
Cc: Netconf (E-mail)

Sharon Chisholm wrote:
hi

I'm not sure which bit is tripping you up. The manager starts to manage a network element and then subscribes for the
information that
is of interest to it. If its interests change, it modifies
the subscription.
If it no longer wishes to manage that network element (moved to another manager for example), it cancels the subscription.
If it loses
connection, it re-establishes and re-subscribes knowing that everything got nice and cleaned up when the session went away.

Which products work this way today?

I know very few examples in the device management world, but this method
is rather widely used in web services management.

I'm trying to understand how the manager subscription model
would fit in with existing network management systems which
use one or more notification listeners, that are configured
(hard-wired or some sort of discovery procedure) on each
notification generator.

It seems to me that the subscription-based complex filtering
is a service that a notification receiver application normally
provides to other NMS applications.  I don't see the dedicated
listener model ever going away, so this manager-subscribe feature
is at best a convenience for NMS applications to move the
notification subscription service from one NMS workstation
to every embedded agent.

IMO, this doesn't make engineering sense, because the
cost of development and deployment is so much higher for
embedded systems than workstations.  (That's probably
why NE vendors don't offer this feature today.)

Dan

Andy