From: "Kent Watsen" <kwatsen@juniper.net>
To: "Andy Bierman" <ietf@andybierman.com>
Cc: "Netconf (E-mail)" <netconf@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 8:45 PM
Subject: RE: architecture and security
1. When the subscription-request comes in, the system must authenticate
that the request only subscribes to events the client is authorized to
receive

2. However, when each notification is generated by the system, the
system only forwards it to the client if it already has a subscription
in place for that kind of event

In case you think that I'm contradicting my earlier statement
"eliminates the system from having to apply filters to the responses",
what I meant to say is that it eliminates *access control* from having
to apply filters to the responses.  This is true since any notification
matching the subscription request, which was authorized, is also
implicitly authorized to be sent to the client

It sounds like these access control policies are only in terms
of the event type, and not in terms of the specific resources
being managed.  In other words, if Customer A should only
be able to access interface (a) configuration data,
and Customer B should only be able to access interface (b),
and the same event type is defined for both interfaces,
we'd have a problem.

Or is this simply one of those things netconf won't support?

Randy