Re: Why are we doing netconf?

Sharon Chisholm wrote:
hi

To all the people who want netconf to be a replacement
for syslog, snmp, ipfix, or whatever:

How about if we solve network configuration first,
then replace every other MGMT protocol in the world
with our new protocol?  (!)

I don't think the WG agrees that notifications in the
NETCONF protocol is a critical missing component,
let alone the most important critical missing component.

For NETCONF to be truly content-independent, the notification
delivery mechanism needs to be totally decoupled from
notification content.  There are a lot of different
ideas on this content, and who should standardize it.

I am totally opposed to the NETCONF WG working on syslog
content.  We need syslog experts (and the Chair) for that.
Sounds like a BOF in the works, but no NETCONF work item here.

I am also totally opposed to working on anything but
the bare minimum number of standard notifications
(like config-change) at this time.  You want a data model,
how about creating a writable interfaces table and an access control
model?  These are critical missing data models.

Andy

Thanks Dave for the well-thought through post.

I think the 'restriction' on Netconf for configuration has always been
an artificial one, but it has served us well. One of the big problems we
ran into with SNMP was we kept picking off the easier problem of
monitoring and never giving configuration enough focus. By limiting the
focusing primarily on configuration for Netconf 1.0, we have ended up
with a great technical solution that is seeing some good market uptake.

I think actual implementations of Netconf are not limiting themselves to
just configuration. The CLI never did. For deployments, the high cost of
having to integrate information from different sources gets weighed
against the cost of having to replace legacy systems. Sometimes it wins.
Sometimes it doesn't. For the most part, all this can be done using the
existing framework. The gaps that people run into when trying to do this
are, I believe, the same ones they run into while trying to use Netconf
for configuration - access control, data model and notifications.
Another gap might be 'operational' commands such as rebooting and
maintenance, but the universal requirements there are not yet clear to
me.

I've personally been working both the data modeling and the notification
issue. I'd work access control, but other then a sense that I'd like
something simpler then we've seen in the past, I have no idea what we
would need. They are all important, both for configuration-only
implementations and configuration-plus ones.  I've focused more on the
notification work lately because I was getting a lot of pushback on the
data model work from certain people, but I'm willing to put time on that
topic again. I think though, that for people looking to be able to pick
up third-party Netconf stacks, there are some big advantages to being
able to standardize on any extended protocol operations sooner rather
then later.

As far as whether if we said from day one that netconf would do more
than configuration and things would have been designed differently, I
don't now if that is the case. As far as being forced to solve problems
at some point in the future related to performance management if we
don't somehow engineer/re-engineer the protocol so it can't be used for
things like that, I don't think that would be helpful.   At that day in
the future the community can decide whether it wants to spend time on
that particular problem. Plus, unless at that point in the future we
learned that they were not also using Netconf for configuration, this
would be a sign of success.

So, in summary, I think the current notification work absolutely is
necessary for configuration management. I don't see the value of
precluding its use for other functions and I believe for the other
functions all we need to do is provide the ability to specify the
correct event class. I'm also willing to work on the other gaps.

Sharon