Re: Why are we doing netconf?

Hi,

from the syslog guy's perspective:

*If* the primary motivation to include notifications is to replace
syslog, I think a shared effort with the syslog community would be
benefitial.

A root problem in syslog is the lack of interest. (Partly) following the
dicsussions on this list here, the same problem seems to resurface for
netconf notifications. I have come to the conclusion that too few
people/organizations have deep interest in system logging and that this
prevents (at least hinders) any serious effort to standardize an event
logging system (essentially, this is what snmp, syslog and eventually
netconf notifications is basically about).

With that said: the lack of a common data model is the primary problem
in syslog. I guess everybody here knows the negative effects of this
missing standardization. For another description, you might have a look
at my paper:

http://www.monitorware.com/en/workinprogress/nature-of-syslog-data.php

This primary problem has not been addressed so far. The syslog-sec WG
was not (and is not) able to do this, because message content is beyond
the charter. This is probably good, because the WG is progressing slowly
enough even with its limited charter. The only thing we "managed" (no
IDs are final, so we can't be sure we actually managed anything...) is
to include the STRUCTURED-DATA (SD) concept. SD is the primary extension
mechanism and hoped to be immensely useful when (if) it comes to content
standardization.

An effort to standardize a data model for logging messages would
definitely be useful, be it for syslog or netconf. I think such a model
must not necessarily be bound to a specific protocol. But there could
(must?) be different models for different use cases (e.g. traffic
reporting, firewalls, config changes, hardware failure reports...).
*This* would be immensely useful to the industry. If that standardized
event would be carried by syslog or netconf is actually of less interest
(at least in my point of view).

Please note that an important motivation for the current series of
syslog IDs was to make syslog transport-independent. You might want to
review a presentation of the early ideas:
   http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/presentat/syslog-protocol-03/index.html

It is partly outdated, but the transport-independence is still described
correctly. This slide is probably the most important one:
   http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/presentat/syslog-protocol-03/img6.html

Given this design, syslog could use netconf as a transport. I know this
is different from what the current notification draft describes, but I
would like to mention it.

One way of integrating syslog and netconf could be that netconf
describes the data model and actions that are needed to

- set up a syslog subscription
- filter/specify the events to be sent
- cancel the syslog subscription
- *understand* the event message content

Once the subscription is setup, syslog messages could travel via RFC
3195(bis) or any other upcoming transport. This would also solve the
issue of an endless RPC, because the actual asynchronous notification
happens via a protocol that is designed to handle them. Plus, it would
solve the issue of the simplex syslog nature, allowing the syslog client
and server to exchange parameters via a separate netconf connection.

The problem with this approach is that it is somewhat like (non-passive)
FTP with a control and data connection. There are a lot of security
implications in this design.

If netconf does notifications, I think specifying a data model is the
top priority. It isn't sufficient to just deliver an event. Its content
and meaning must be understandable. If netconf just specifies a
transport, it will end up with another transmission mode for event
messages. I wouldn't see any advantage over current syslog in this case.

And: please do not underestimate the problems that come along with
insufficient interest in the topic. To limited review of IDs is an issue
I know very well from the syslog WG. If you read the syslog archives,
you will also find that there are few regulars. People come and go.
Depending on who's active when, design choices change. We have more than
once run in cycles just because active participants disappeared for a
while whereas past participants entered again. This caused a constant
shift in decision. It was the primary reason that the work, when thought
to be completed, was once again revamped and nearly put to a stop. It is
quite questionable if the syslog WG will succeed this year. If not, it
will be an official failure and no syslog RFC will appear (which of
course could be a motivation to do it in netconf). I doubt it is useful
to split ressources in an area where already very few people express
interest in.

Rainer Gerhards