RE: Real Notification Requirements

Hi Shane,

A partial, informal list of current, widely-deployed network
element configuration protocols:

- IETF SNMP over TCP, UDP, ISO TP4, NetWare, AppleTalk, etc.
- ISO CMIP over TCP, ISO TP4, etc.
- DMTF DMI over TCP - DMI MIFs for IETF and vendor MIBs
- DMTF WBEM over HTTP - XML schema for DMTF CIM MOFs
- Oasis WSDM over SOAP - XML schema for WS-Resource* framework
- DMTF WS-Management over SOAP - XML schema for WS-Resource*

DMTF and Oasis have a formal alliance to convert all CIM XML
schema into the WS-Resource* framework for use with WSDM.

WSDM and WS-Management have just issued a historic convergence
white paper that shows how they'll add new higher level classes
to allow a single application data model and harmonize the
resource, transfer, notifications, and subscriptions elements:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/specification/ws-r
oadmap/

  http://devresource.hp.com/drc/specifications/wsm/index.jsp

Cheers,