Re: Real Notification Requirements

Andy Bierman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This new thread is for people to articulate use cases
> to support functional requirement requests.
> Translation: What is the developer or operator doing now, and
> how will it change to something great and wonderful because
> of this new feature?
>
> Let's try some top-down design, since ad-hoc design isn't
> going so well.
>
> I believe there is consensus so far for 2 uses of notifications
> in the NETCONF protocol:
>

> Content Layer Requirements
> --------------------------
>
> C1) 'Full XML' or 'XML Wrapper' notification for SYSLOG content
>
> C2) NETCONF configuration change notification
>
> C3) ???

I had a quick look at draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-16, and was interested
to see it supports structured data in addition to traditional syslog
free-form text. It also has a way for vendors to specify their own
structured data identifiers, and several standard ones defined already.

I wonder what the key differences are between the SYSLOG stuff and
anything within the NETCONF notification. Perhaps:

- XML (of course)
- Registration vs. complete log feed

Is there anything else?

Perhaps it would be better to focus on adding a subscription mechanism
to SYSLOG?

--
Shane