From: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org] On
Behalf Of Andy Bierman
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 10:59 AM
To: Netconf (E-mail)
Subject: Named Profiles for notification configuration

Hi,

IMO, the entire concept of the 'named-profile' configuration option in
the draft is broken.  From a standards POV, it is broken because there
is no way for 1 vendor to set a profile and another to use it.  The
content is unspecified.

More importantly, this is "just another data model".
We already have an architecture for defining, naming, and manipulating
data with standard RPC methods (e.g., <edit-config>). IMO, adding a new
'opaque' label-based configuration model on top of that is a bad idea.

As Wes would say, "Have you fully considered the access control
implications of this design?"  I don't think so.

Andy