RE: Problem of XML validation

Putting the xpath expression in an attribute would work,
for example:

     <rpc message-id="101"
          xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:netconf:base:1.0">
       <get-config>
         <source>
           <running/>
         </source>
         <!-- get the user named fred -->
         <filter type="xpath" select="top/users/user[name='fred']"/>
       </get-config>
     </rpc>

The RFC-Ed updates would be:

On page 34:
OLD:
         If the NETCONF peer supports the :xpath capability
         (Section 8.9), the value "xpath" may be used to indicate that
         the filter element contains an XPath expression.

NEW:
         If the NETCONF peer supports the :xpath capability
         (Section 8.9), the value "xpath" may be used to indicate that
         the select attribute on the filter element contains an XPath
         expression.

On page 50:
OLD:
         If the NETCONF peer supports the :xpath capability
         (Section 8.9), the value 'xpath' may be used to indicate that
         the filter element contains an XPath expression.

NEW:
         If the NETCONF peer supports the :xpath capability
         (Section 8.9), the value "xpath" may be used to indicate that
         the select attribute on the filter element contains an XPath
         expression.

On page 67:
OLD:
   The :xpath capability modifies the <get> and <get-config> operations
   to accept the value "xpath" in the type attribute of the filter
   element.  When the type attribute is set to "xpath", the contents of
   the filter element will be treated as an xpath expression and used to
   filter the returned data.

NEW:
   The :xpath capability modifies the <get> and <get-config> operations
   to accept the value "xpath" in the type attribute of the filter
   element.  When the type attribute is set to "xpath", a select
   attribute MUST be present on the filter element.  The select
   attribute will be treated as an XPath expression and used to filter
   the returned data.  The filter element itself MUST be empty in this
   case.

On page 67:
OLD:
         <filter type="xpath"> <!-- get the user named fred -->
           top/users/user[name="fred"]
         </filter>

NEW:
         <!-- get the user named fred -->
         <filter type="xpath" select="top/users/user[name='fred']"/>

On page 81:
OLD:
           <xs:attribute name="type"
                         type="FilterType" default="subtree"/>

NEW:
           <xs:attribute name="type"
                         type="FilterType" default="subtree"/>
           <!-- if type="xpath", the xpath expression
           appears in the select element -->
           <xs:attribute name="select"/>