RE: Guidance needed on well known ports

While in general I would like to see this approach taken, this particular case is a perfect example of where I think one can not reasonably do that. The protocol is for the purpose of configuring a router. The router that needs to be configured could easily be between the network engineer and the DNS server. The protocol can not rationally depend upon DNS (no matter how much I like the elegance of removing ports, using dynamic port numbers, and using dynamic DNS.)
Yes, we could invent a better way to make things work.  And maybe we should.
But Netconf should not be held up waiting for that to be developed.
Until we develop such a beast, we have to use port numbers.
Given that constraint, what guidelines ought to be used for whether a protocol gets a port number above or below 1024?

Yours,
Joel