Re: use of netconf to configure Unix systems

I believe that the correct, current, answer to your question is "nothing."
Netconf is clearly not a better use of those ports than a large number of things that have been assigned higher numbered ports.
Hence, I think Netconf should live in the same space as everyone else.
The 1024 port space was reserved based on a certain model of the world. That model no longer obtains.

There is arguably even a good reason that Netconf should not be using, by default, a reserved port. I can easily imagine experimental router implementations where the control logic (and even the router and router config logic) are living in user space. They are not running as priviledged processes. They could support Netconf, and the standard port, if that port were not in the kernel set. But could not use the normal Netconf port if it was in the system space.

Using a <1024 port buys us nothing.
Not using one is more appropriate, and may even be useful.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern