Re: use of netconf to configure Unix systems

McDonald, Ira wrote:
Andy Bierman wrote:
Randy Presuhn wrote:
Hi -

I'm intrigued by the concern that netconf should be
assigned a Unix privileged port.
Does this mean that someone has or is developing a netconf
data model to configure
Unix hosts or applications? Are there other reasons for
running a netconf server
on a Unix host?
Perhaps somebody is already implementing a "NETCONF to Unix Config file" gateway,
running on Fedora4.  Netconf for unix is a very real possibility.

Hi Andy,

I can think of no conceivable reason someone would seriously
want to use Netconf for remote UNIX configuration.  For desktop
and server end systems, WBEM, WS-Management, and WSDM are the
plausible and _deployed_ solutions.  The DMTF DMI and DMTF CIM
models have been used for a decade to configure UNIX, MacOS,
Windows, and Linux systems.

Give me one technical reason that shifting from existing open
standard management protocols (that are already deployed and
already support interoperable event subscriptions and event
notifications) to Netconf would be a good idea?

People can experiment with whatever they want.
I still use ASCII config files to manage most linux services.
I guess I'm the only one still doing it the old-fashioned way.

Cheers,
- Ira

Andy