Re: Evaluation: draft-ietf-netconf-ssh-05.txt to Proposed Standar d [I06-051127-0011]

On Friday, March 17 2006, Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:

> We don't think we are improving security.
> It is about following current practice, 'best' or otherwise.
> IMO, there is a strong pre-existing expectation that a configuration
> protocol like NETCONF should be in the system port number range.

As far as I can tell, the only security implication one way or the
other is whether non-netconf (i.e., other user) applications can
bind to the port, possibly preempting use by netconf (even though
the netconf service is likely to start before user applications).
On unix-like systems, port numbers below 1024 enforce this.
On non-unix-like systems, this argument may not hold.

If there is a difference wrt authentication, I don't see it (but my
security glasses are, at best, astigmatic).

So, to my understanding, there are two arguments for reserving
a port below 1024:  preempting user processes, and pre-existing
expectation as noted by Andy.  It is not clear to me that
those at IANA who gatekeep such things will find these sufficiently
strong arguments.

---
Steve Moulton        SNMP Research, Inc            voice: +1 865 573 1434
Sr Software Engineer 3001 Kimberlin Heights Rd.    fax: +1 865 573 9197
moulton at snmp.com  Knoxville, TN 37920-9716 USA  http://www.snmp.com