Re: problems with 'ignore-error' <error-option>

The original intent of the option was to have behavior similar to Cisco IOS
doing "copy tftp://foo/blah running-config". In this case the configuration
is a list of lines, each represents an atomic configuration change
operation. If one line generates an error we can continue on and execute the
remaining lines, ignoring the error. The idea is that commands that don't
make sense can be ignored, but the ones that do make sense can be applied.

This proves to be a convenient behavior when an existing configuration runs
on a different device than it was originally created for, or when a device
has the software upgraded and some older commands are no longer supported,
or if the line cards in a device have changed so that some interfaces that
were there are now missing.

One of the data models that we are supporting in the Cisco implementation of
netconf is a list of command lines and this same behavior can be maintained
with the ignore-error option.

So, to better define the behavior in the netconf spec we need to be clear
about the errors that we are choosing to ignore. I think that these are the
errors that occur in the processing (not the parsing) of the <config>
element in an <edit-config>.

There's probably a better way to say that.

-steve