From: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org] On
Behalf Of Andy Bierman
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:08 PM
To: Balazs Lengyel
Cc: Netconf (E-mail)
Subject: Re: netconf notification transport issues

Balazs Lengyel wrote:

> Hello,
> Someone brought up the scenario that one netconf management system
> might supervise many (thousands) nodes. In this case requiring the
> manager to have 2 instead of one sessions for each node might be a
> problem.
>
> What is the problem actually with multi-use ? (The advantage of having
> fewer sessions is clear.) Even if we have multi-use sessions do we
> really need multiple channels ? Why ?

It is a complexity tradeoff, not a problem.
I think the WG wants multi-use sessions, but I want to make sure.
The point of multiple channels or connections per session is too
keep notifications and rpcs separate.  If they share, they are
serialized.

So let's say your application is dumping the entire config on a huge
router
 -- a <get-config> that takes 28 minutes to complete.  Let's also say
that a
one of the power supplies on that router  freaks out and fries 3
daughter-cards
at once, 30 seconds after this <rpc-reply> starts.  That means you have
a major
outage for at least 27.5 minutes before you know about it.  Not exactly
how
async notifications are meant to be used.

This is why you really don't want to do RPCs and receive notifications
on the
message path, if you care about fault response time.

Andy