[Fwd: Re: edit-config operation]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

merge is data-model specific.

I just need a clarification on how merge is working, which I didn't find in the draft. I am not sure to understand what you mean by "merge is data-model specific. ". Is merge behavior up to the implementor, or are there some general guidelines on what the merge is doing ?

It is data model specific.
Do you have suggestions for changing it?

It would help a lot to explicitely state what data is to be created, deleted or replaced. I think one of these three operations must be explicitely present in each request.
Specifying the key elements in the edit-config can help also.

I understand "merge" as a way to hide the real operations (create, replace, delete). But it is ambiguous in some cases, even if you define a strict data model (see the examples).

You are using a nice clean XPath expression.
Unfortunately, this is a small subset of the entire language.
I think there are huge problems with setting or locking data items
based on arbitrary Xpath expressions.

The XPath that I used is simple but it can be as complex as you want to.
I don't see the problems that it could create. Can you explain more ?

Vincent

--- End Message ---