Netconf Event: Issue #1: To RCP or Not to RPC

hi

As Juergen suggested, I'm going to start off pros/cons list of having
something at the RCP-layer in the Netconf Notification Solution. My list
on each side is shorter than I was hoping, but it hopefully can start
things off for us.

In short though, once you have the Netconf Layers diagrammed engrained
in your head, honouring these layers by having an rpc-layer wrapper
seems to be the simplest solution. Removing it seems more like an
optimization that says well, this new wrapper only can contain one type
of operation, so why have it? I see the efficiency in removing it, but
think we need to be careful about future proofing the architecture.

Note that I've always viewed the term <rpc> as a bit of a misnomer since
the Netconf RPC isn't really a traditional RPC. I suspect that perhaps
some of the disconnect on this issue might lie in how much one treats
<rpc> like an XML tag and how much one treats it like a traditional RPC.

Pros
----
1) Other netconf operations are wrapped in something in the RPC-layer.
It seems cleanest to also wrap the <notifications> in this layer. (Ease
of understanding, ease of processing, etc)

Cons
----
1) If there is only one type of asynchronous message, then we can save
some bits on the wire, but only having one wrapper instead of two.

Sharon Chisholm
Nortel
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada