Re: Q: No max/ minMax length of anything?

Rob Enns wrote:

I think xs:string is minLength="0" and maxLength="unbounded" by default.
(Can somebody confirm this?)

xs:string is unconstrained by default, which (I think) is the
same thing as minLength="0" and maxLength="unbounded".

Doesn't that mean that we need minLength="1" in some cases?

Here is Martin's list:

confirm-timeout is a positiveInteger (no upper bound) (could e.g.
                         have been unsignedInt)
   error-app-tag  is a (unbounded) xs:string
   error-path  is a (unbounded) xs:string
   error-message  is a (unbounded) xs:string

I think allowing message-id to be zero-length is broken.

I also think the 3 error-* strings should have a minLength="1" facet.
I know this is a CLR, but IMO, I would rather these optional
parameters
not be present in this case. Operationally, I can't think of any value
zero-length strings will add to the debugging process.

I don't see any use for a zero length one of these, but I agree this
is a CLR and we should be firm on the introduction of CLRs. In this
case I suggest we let these stand as xs:string's.

Okay - This will be interesting. IMO, the law of unintended consequences is going to bite us later, but we will see...

Personally, I would rather have a CLR that is consistently supported across all devices
than a unbounded type that few implementations support in the same way.

I agree with Martin, and would like to change confirm-timeout to
a simpleType (base="unsignedInt" minInclusive="1"). The positiveInteger base type is a string, not a number. This requires much more processing
internally than unsignedInt.  positiveInteger has no upper bound,
but unsignedInt does (and 4 billion seconds is a long enough timeout).

Sounds like a good change, I'll update -11 with this change.

Rob

Andy