Re: Q: No max/ minMax length of anything?

Rob Enns wrote:

<Andy>
We decided (and nobody objected) that the message-id attribute is maxLength="4095". Other than that, all data types are constrained AFAIK. We don't control

the URL limits.
</Andy>

Did we? It isn't in -10

<xs:attribute name="message-id" type="xs:string" use="required"/>

It will be in -11 (hey, NETCONF goes to 11!)

 <!--
   message-id attribute
   -->
 <xs:simpleType name="messageIdType">
   <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
     <xs:maxLength value="4095"/>
   </xs:restriction>
 </xs:simpleType>

I think xs:string is minLength="0" and maxLength="unbounded" by default.
(Can somebody confirm this?)

Doesn't that mean that we need minLength="1" in some cases?

Here is Martin's list:

   confirm-timeout  is a positiveInteger (no upper bound)  (could e.g.
                         have been unsignedInt)
   error-app-tag  is a (unbounded) xs:string
   error-path  is a (unbounded) xs:string
   error-message  is a (unbounded) xs:string

I think allowing message-id to be zero-length is broken.

I also think the 3 error-* strings should have a minLength="1" facet.
I know this is a CLR, but IMO, I would rather these optional parameters
not be present in this case.  Operationally, I can't think of any value
zero-length strings will add to the debugging process.

I agree with Martin, and would like to change confirm-timeout to
a simpleType (base="unsignedInt" minInclusive="1").  The positiveInteger
base type is a string, not a number.  This requires much more processing
internally than unsignedInt.  positiveInteger has no upper bound,
but unsignedInt does (and 4 billion seconds is a long enough timeout).

Rob

thanks,
Andy